Saturday, October 08, 2005

Serenity

Despite being a big fan of Buffy and Angel, as well as just a general sci-fi/fantasy geek, I didn't watch Joss Whedon's Western/space opera Firefly during its very short original run. However, over the summer, the SciFi Channel started rerunning the fourteen episodes that were made at seven o'clock on Firdays, right before the Stargates and Battlestar Galactica (all of which I'm a huge fan of), so I started watching and found I really liked it. Yeah, it's a bit anvilicious at times and the Western motifs are a bit jarring and downright nonsensical at times (I mean, how does a heavily Asian-influenced frontier culture start talking like John Wayne, anyway?), but it was still an interesting series that didn't deserve less than a season.

So, as newly-converted fan, I giddily went to see Serenity, the new Firefly movie, this weekend. I highly recommend it, people! It's pretty and smart and tragic and funny and has lots and lots of pretty men. And if we ever want to see some sequels, it needs to make money. So, go and see it! Take alone some friends. I promise, you won't be disappointed.

No comments: