Thursday, August 18, 2005

Vocab from The Varieties of Religious Experience

aseity
the property by which a being exists of and from itself; usually used in connection to God
apodictic
Necessarily or demonstrably true; incontrovertible.
concatenated
To connect or link in a series or chain.
decide
Of course, I already knew the definition; it's hardly an unusual word. But for some reason (too much Cephalogenic, I expect) when I ran across it this time, I got to thinking, "I wonder if there's any connection between all the -cide words that denote killing (like suicide) and decide." Turns out, I was right! The de part means "off, away" and stuff like that. The -cide goes back to the Latin for cut or kill. So, when you decide between two things, you're "killing" one off. Cool, huh?
ebriety
drunkenness (After seeing the definition, I realized I should have known that it had to have something to do with being drunk, because of its closeness to "inebriated.")
extern
A person associated with but not officially residing in an institution, especially a nonresident physician on a hospital staff.
kelson
A timber or girder fastened above and parallel to the keel of a ship or boat for additional strength.
limpid
clear
orison
prayer
predoceous
predatory, plundering
previsive
Limiting by cutting off all that is not absolutely relative to the purpose at hand.
punctilio
1: a fine point of etiquette or petty formality

2: strict observance of formalities
purulence
having to do with pus
ratiocination
1: the proposition arrived at by logical reasoning

2: logical and methodical reasoning
sempiternal
eternal
spoliation
The act of despoiling or plundering.

syncope
A brief loss of consciousness caused by a temporary deficiency of oxygen in the brain; a swoon; a blackout
vocables
n. A word considered only as a sequence of sounds or letters rather than as a unit of meaning.

adj. Capable of being voiced or spoken.
vulnery
I couldn't find "vulnery" specifically, but I may have misspelled it when I jotted it down in my notes and really meant "vulnerary,"which means having to do with wounds.

(Via
Dictionary.com)

No comments: