Thursday, May 05, 2005

Star Trek

I've never read Orson Scott Card. I don't know Orson Scott Card. I really don't have an opinion on Orson Scott Card (except I think I've heard he's really chauvinistic, but I'm not sure it's him I'm thinking of). But I think he's a bit off-base with the statement, "So they've gone and killed "Star Trek." And it's about time." He goes on to say, basically, that the first "Star Trek" sucked, the others were more of the same, and that we've "grown up" and moved on to better science fiction (his included, I'm sure). "Screen sci-fi has finally caught up with written science fiction," he says. Nothing but literary snobbery!

Has the man actually watched Golden Age (Seasons 4-6) Next Generation or Deep Space Nine (almost any season)? That's lots of compelling and interesting science fiction right there. Even Voyager and Enterprise had their moments. And lots of Trekkers are very sophisticated science fiction aficionados who read all of the authors and watch all of the shows he cites, so his whole premise (that we're just a bunch of juveniles who didn't know any better) is just plain wrong.

Trek is dead... for now. I'm actually glad it is; Voyager and Enterprise were terrible and there's just no creative juice left in the current franchise regime. In a few years, though, I'm confident it will return and people will fall in love all over again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've never seen something be dead temporarily. It's more like "hibernating, soon to awaken and terrorize the landscape once again." ;-)

And, though I'll agree the first few seasons of Enterprise were less then stellar, they've recently hired some new writers who have actually put together some pretty compelling stuff. I'd suggest you check it out. :-)