Thursday, December 09, 2010

Bourgeois Book Club

How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe: A Novel by Charles Yu

Between this and Our Tragic Universe earlier in the fall, I seem to be on a bit of metafictional-science-fictional kick of late. And How To Live Safely is very, very meta. Frankly, I'm not even sure how to describe it. I guess the simplest way would be: A time machine mechanic in an alternate universe governed by science fictional rules gets stuck, literally and metaphorically, in a time loop after years of hiding from the "real" world in his time machine and has to come to terms with himself and his father to work it all out. Throw in some geeky Star Wars and Star Trek references, and you'd think you'd have the perfect book for me.

But... Well, I thought it was interesting, and can definitely relate to the feeling of being trapped in various boxes (an image that is beaten over one's head) and repeated patterns by your own devices, but I don't think I can say I enjoyed it immensely. (Perhaps its portrait of a nerd too afraid to live hit a little too close to home for total enjoyment?) I don't much care for stories about how mommy/daddy didn't love me enough, even if, in the end, I think one of the main points of the story is that at some point we actually have to move on from our parents and their mistakes.

What do I know, though? It's on all kinds of Best of lists that are popping up this time of year. It's also a fairly short read, and, for all the time-bending and technobabble, it's fairly easy to read once you've gotten over the disorientation.

For other opinions on the book, see i09.

The Wolf Age by James Enge

Werewolves get short-shrift in fantasy. They're always strictly hierarchical beasts in the wilderness running around in packs. Enge gives them a city-state with an actual culture and society, and an interesting one at that, complete with elections and politics. Meanwhile, a prison break, godly intrigues, global warming, steampunk alchemy, and imminent mortality keep the action going throughout. If you're a werewolf fan, you should take a look.

No comments: