Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Filmstrips

Fall has fallen, and with it the kiddies have returned to school, which got me to thinking about my own school years. Frankly, for the lower grades in particular, I don't have many memories. School was one long exercise in alienation and social anxiety. However, one thing I remember fondly were the filmstrips in elementary school. There was something about the dark classroom, the 70s graphic design of badly drawn cartoons and pictures of people in bell bottoms, the stentorian voice on the cassette tapes droning on about American history or microorganisms or hygiene or whatever, the *boop* and *click* of the projector moving to the next frame that I just loved. But do they even have filmstrips anymore? If not, today's youth are seriously deprived.

No comments: