Monday, May 26, 2008

Bourgeois Nerd: A Teleological Consideration

I've been blogging for four years in December. It's incredible, in many ways. I've outlasted many other, much more worthwhile blogs written by much better writers, and it got me to thinking: What is this blog about? How has it changed and evolved?

I thought about it for a minute, and what I came up with is 1) gay stuff/sex, 2) books, 3) animals, and 4) random geeky stuff. There is also the occasional off-the-wall miscellaneous thing or personal observation thrown in for seasoning. I think the two biggest differences from when I started are that I've gotten a little racier (with Skimpy Sundays especially), and that I've moved away from writing about academia and the academic life. This is probably because when I started academia's where I thought I'd end up and those were the blogs I read, whereas now I know that's not for me and I don't read as many academic blogs.

I've also tried to be a little less whiny than I think I was in the past. My personal problems are dull anyway, and I've come to realize that pity parties are kind of a waste of time and more than a touch narcissistic. I have a cushy life; my problems are internally motivated, not externally imposed. My fears and neuroses hold me back, not anything else. If I'm not as happy or in-shape or fabulous as I would like, it's due to my own passivity, and blog-wallowing helps nothing.

Finally, of course, I like to think I've become a better writer than I was.

But what I see and what you see could be two totally different things. I ask, then, what do you think this blog is about? Is it about anything? For those of you who've been around for awhile, how has it changed? Do you like the changes? Do you miss some things from bygone days?

2 comments:

Tim said...

hmm still processing, expect asinine comments concerning things that happened years ago

Frank said...

Take your time!