Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Billy Joel

My place of employment (until Friday, anyway) is a retail environment. As many retail environments do, it has the local soft rock station playing over the loudspeaker. The backroom, by contrast, has the more rock-oriented radio station, which is more in keeping with my colleagues' tastes, playing. Either is fine with me; I have rather catholic and non-judgmental tastes in music.

However, I've been doing heavy computer work in the front for the past week, so the soft rock station is always in the background. As is the case with most radio these days, its playlist is a little... limited. They just don't seem to have much variety in their programming. They have certain songs and they just play them over and over and over again. Which is annoying, but it's the corporatization of radio, and Clear Channel is Satan, yadda yadda yadda, so it's the world we live in. I can accept that, if grudingly. But it's driving me absolutely insane because this station plays entirely too much Billy Joel. I was never much of a fan to begin with, but after the past few days, I want to go to the Hamptons and make him crash his car into something again. "Scenes From An Italian Restaurant" and "Piano Man" are on at least twice a day and it makes me want to hurt someone. God, Billy, I just want to listen to music, not have to follow the plot line of an art house film! Enough with the narrative already! And you're really not a great singer, either. Gah!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Frank I beg you, never use the term yada, yada, yada again. It's moronic and only serves to demonstrate that the user doesn't have enough command of vocabulary to use actual real words.

I once dumped a guy I was dating because he used it ALL THE TIME.

Steve said...

I think when the media corporations recruit focus groups to select songs for programming they are doing something that causes the participants to skew toward Billy Joel.

Remember when you could just call a station and request a song?

Frank said...

Because of my intense love and respect of you, Scott, I will in future try to avoid using that phrase. I just hope the boyfriend who used it wasn't Patrick, or you're in for a long week! *LOL*

Steve: I guess something about being in a group makes people like Billy Joel. "The wisdom of crowds" indeed! I was only at work for an hour today (due to the ice storm the NE is having), but in that time they still managed to squeeze in a Billy Joel. It wasn't "Scenes from an Italian Restaurant" or "Piano Man," and didn't really have a narrative plot, but it was still enough to make me want to hit something. I know have a Pavlovian loathing whenever I hear his voice!