Saturday, November 25, 2006

Nuvaring

Now, as hard as it is to believe, I'm not personally well-acquainted with vaginas and spend very little time contemplating them. However, I keep seeing this commercial for Nuvaring, forcing me to think about those yeasty caverns from which we all spring. From what I can gather, this Nuvaring thing, which looks an awful lot like those plastic bracelet things I remember girls wearing by the dozen in my childhood, goes up the vagina and, presumably, releases birth-controlling hormones into the porous lining.

But what happens when you're on your period? Do you take it out or do you just insert a tampon to keep it company? And what of sex? It would be a very effective birth control method indeed if you had to keep it on for that. But the real question for any visiting lady is this: would you want to carrying around a plastic bracelet in your hoo-ha all day?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The understated first line of this post cracked me up.
One of my old roomates (and owner of the only vagina I've become intimately acquainted with) sometimes used to spend a morning going about her daily routine whilst wearing duo balls up there. So perhaps it's not as unlikely as one might suspect.

Frank said...

I'm almost afraid to ask, Gunn, but what are duo balls?

Kathryn Warner said...

I love the first sentence too, Frank! ;) What a lovely diplomatic way of putting it.

AFAIK, you [general 'you' here, obviously, not 'you' meaning 'Frank'!] *can* wear it during a period, and insert a tampon too - one doesn't affect the efficacy of the other. But you're only meant to wear one for 3 weeks out of 4, then you'll menstruate during your week off. I doubt your partner would be able to feel it during sex, to be honest, and you shouldn't be able to feel it yourself.

I'd use one, hell, yeah!

Duo balls are, ahem, sex toys. They move and vibrate inside the vagina. Yummy! ;)

Frank said...

Thanks for the info, Alianore!