Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Grrrrr!

Can't we all just get along?

Speaking as a mathematically-challenged, science-interested, artsy-fartsy humanities type, it really gets my goat when either the humanities or the sciences gets on a high horse and looks down on the other. Get with it, people! Knowledge isn't really a collection of wholly distinct disciplines hierarchically ordered according to arbitrary criteria: that's just the way we've decided to divide them up to make education a little easier. I'm not good at math, but I appreciate its value and fascination and hold in esteem those who are good at it. I expect the same consideration from my counterparts. Enough with the stupid "my discipline is better than yours!" crap. We have so many more important things to deal with. And to bicker at a time when education in toto is under threat by wingnuts and loons is sickening.

No comments: