Saturday, May 13, 2006

...From Sea To Shining Sea!

An articulate, insightful, and impassioned screed on the true meaning of patriotism. Couldn't have, and probably wouldn't have, put it better myself.

I wish all Americans would read that blog post, because I heard on NPR that something like 63% Americans polled by USA Today had no problem with the recently revealed NSA data gathering on ordinary Americans' phone calls. Now, delusional as I am, I like to think that this high poll number is at least partially a result of ignorance: the story just broke, the poll was a "snap," and Americans are apt to not be aware of the full ramifications of something at first. But even so, it is horrifying. I mean, on one level, I understand the thought that "if you don't have anything to hide, who cares?" I could even accept that opinion. The problem with that is you have to trust that the watchdogs are only looking for terrorists and aren't going to use the information they collect for other puproses. And I don't trust the current Administration (any Administration really, but this Administration in particular) to confine itself to looking for terrorists. First it's "monitoring" to keep us "safe," then it's breaking down the door of any teen who writes "Bush SUX" on their blog and locking them up for sedition. (They're already attacking the freedom to write snarky movie reviews.)

Please don't be sheep, Americans! For once, spend divert just half the energy you expend being "offended" by Janet Jackson's breasts, following the Brangelina pregnancy, paying attention to Tom Cruise's crazy ass, or quaking in your boots that the gays are gonna getchya to caring about something that actually matters. Please!

No comments: