Friday, May 05, 2006

Feliz Cinco de Mayo!




I'm not that crazy about Cinco de Mayo. First, I'm not a drinker, so it really holds no appeal to me. Second, while I know that it's really the same sort of cultural appropriation as St. Patrick's Day (when "everybody's Irish"/a Lucky Charms leprechaun), a holiday that doesn't bother me in the slightest despite my own proud Irish heritage, with Cinco de Mayo it just feels... wrong, somehow. It's a holiday that's been "brought" to alcoholic gringos by "Mexican" chain restaurants and tequila manufacturers. Basically, it's taking Mexico's sorta-Independence Day-equivalent and making it an excuse to wear sombreros and get lit on Coronas.

In a year such as this when "the Mexicans are gonna take over!" hysteria is so strong, it seems especially inappropriate. When I went to get clipart, I found myself horrified. I mean, I'm a big old white, liberal, non-confrontational wuss, so showing images such as the one below makes me nervous. It was clearly labelled as a joke, but it is still offensive. Maybe hanging around Oso Raro and Gayprof has made me more aware of Hispanic issues. (BTW, guys, don't hate me!)

But who cares what I think? For those of you who enjoy a libation or two, have a tequila for me and enjoy the half-price margharitas!



4 comments:

GayProf said...

Why would we hate you? Unless you are in love with that clip art, it seems like you are pointing out real problems.

Frank said...

Well, like I said, I'm a wuss, and I don't like to hurt anyone's feelings, even if I'm explaining how something discomforts me. The thing is, I think that clipart is cute, but I also understand how it is at least a little offensive.

GayProf said...

Very offensive.

Oso Raro said...

Offensive is waiting two hours to march with the Cold City U. contingent in the Cinco de Mayo parade last Saturday, then spending one hour schlepping, getting a sunburn and a lot of "who are you" stares for your trouble while you smell all the delicious carny food that you can't have (Mmmmm, Quesadilla Wagon) because you're too busy trying not to walk right into the people in front of you (and folks in Cold City, being such a cold city, hate any inadvertent touching), and only taking home a lousy t-shirt that makes me look like a fat canary. Oh, Mary, don't ask! (Altho Mr. Gordo, who is coming tomorrow, is all psyched about taking Raza photos of me in my little Cold City Azteca "Rompiendo Barreras" Homegirl moment).

BN, just chalk up your perverse desire for clip art to camp, and call it a day :-P