Monday, April 24, 2006

About As Welcome As A Tribble At A Klingon Wedding

They're thinking of doing another Trek movie. I'd be happy, except for the reported storyline. *ugh* I’m sorry, but I have no interest in seeing the “early days” of Kirk and Spock. And at the Academy, no less!

I know it’s anathema to some, but I’d really rather go back to the “present” of the Trek universe (2380s) than keep going back into the past. Enterprise didn't work partly because of this and I don't think a new movie would, either. Plus, you'd have to get young guys to play iconic characters and that just doesn't work. And I really don't think it would bring in any new or casual fans and would probably piss off a large portion of the established/hardcore ones. I mean, yeah, you're always going to piss off some of the crazy fanboys. (And fangirls! Yes, Virginia, there are many, many, many female Trekkers.) This sort of thing, though, has the potential to alienate more than just a few crazies and grumps.

And, to top it all off, they've given the project to a director of... less than stellar credentials. For once, I'm rooting for the Hollywood machine to chew a project up and spit it out.

5 comments:

GayProf said...

Yeah, I had heard about a new trek movie, but your blog is the first place I learned about the Kirk/Spock rumor. Ugh.

Why Parmount allows Rick Bergmen near the ST franchise, I have no idea.

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to seeing a new star trek movie regardless of the plotline.

Frank said...

Marsha: We can't let them take us for granted! Otherwise, they'll think they can call us whenever they want their jollies and we'll just drop everything and pay them $10 or more dollars to sate their perverse lusts! We must make them think we'll drop everything and pay them $10 or more to sate OUR perverse lusts, instead.

El: I don't think we'll ever see another TNG movie. I don't think the cast are that interested. I wouldn't mind a "modern Trek smorgasbord" movie, though. Just as long as the Voyager contingent is kept to a minimum. Actually, I really wouldn't mind a whole new (or mostly new) cast movie set in the "modern" era. It'd be interesting to see if, instead of making a Trek movie after the end of a Trek series' run, they could make a Trek series after a Trek movie. It'll probably never happen, though. *sigh*

MG said...

I have mixed feelings about the new Star Trek film. On one hand I think its way too soon. So much has been done with Star Trek the past fifteen years and it really does need a rest. On the other hand, the academy premise may work. The producer for the Star Trek II, III, IV, and V films, Harve Bennett, was rather passionate about doing an 'academy years' Star Trek film in the early 1990s. If I remember correctly he had the go ahead at one point, but Paramount changed their minds and wanted a film with the original cast, hence Star Trek VI. That decision must have been upsetting since Bennett would walk away from Star Trek and had nothing more to do with it. Harve Bennett had so many great ideas and knew the Trek universe well so if he thought it could work, then maybe it will.

Frank said...

Well, mark, anyone who produced V is looked at a little askance by me. *hehe* But, regardless, MAYBE the Academy idea could work and maybe it couldn't, but the Academy idea with a young Kirk and Spock? Very unlikely to work, in my estimation.