Monday, October 24, 2005

Literary Etceteras

Philip Pullman says that C.S. Lewis' Narnia series is "racist, misogynistic and reactionary." I say His Dark Materials is "boring, strident and overrated." But that's just me; everyone else seems to love that series. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

(Via Beatrice)

There's a publishing program afoot based on reinventing myths. As a dedicated mythophile, I'll definitely check some of them out. Margaret Atwood's The Penelopiad: The Myth of Penelope and Odysseus looks particularly interesting. (BTW, isn't if funny that the Canadian paper focuses on the Canadian and the Scottish paper focuses on the Scots? I mean, it really isn't surprising, but it's kinda funny when it's so blatant.)

Simone Beauvoir and Jean-Paul Sartre slept around a lot. Horny French people? Shocking! Though I do feel sorry for Sartre that he didn't enjoy his orgasms that much.

Amazon reviewers say the darnedest things.

(Via Maud Newton)

No comments: