Thursday, September 22, 2005

Healthy

Unsurprisingly, but welcomely, Monday's doctor's appointment basically established that my mom worries too much. Now, I still got a blood test, but the chance of diabetes is very, very small, in my doctor's opinion.

Frankly, he said, most diabetics he sees have a crash in weight before they start treatment, not an increase, plus blurry vision and an insane need to drink and pee. Now, I drink and pee a lot, but I've ALWAYS drunk and peed a lot. My eyes are fine. And, objectively, I haven't really gained all that much weight over the past year (like 12 pounds). Also, I'm at an in-between age where I'm too old for juvenile diabetes and too young for adult diabetes (though it's not impossible for a person my age to have the adult). The big stomach is just a function of the fact that men just tend to put on weight in their abdomen, like women on their hips. The doc believes it the kind of deal where just looks like you've gained a lot, but you really haven't. You know, you go over a "tipping point" where just a little more weight suddenly makes you look huge.

He also thinks my Paxil may have something to do with it. We're going to try and wean me off of it and see what happens. I've been on it for like six years now, so it's probably time. If the depression comes back, he said he'd put me on some stuff that came out after I started Paxil that is gentler and has fewer side-effects.

I suspected my mother's fears were unfounded, but it's still a relief to know I was right. We'll see what the blood test says just to be sure, but I'm really not worried.

3 comments:

gothamwhore said...

Did you notice that you posted this at 4:20? It's dorky of me to point it out, especially since you can set the exact time of your post, but I thought it was interesting nonetheless.

Thanks for your random non-comment to my comment posting in my blog :)

Frank said...

No, I didn't notice the time (though it's slightly off - I forgot to change the time stamp from AM to PM). Is there some significance to 4:20?

You're welcome for the non-comment. It's the least I could do. I love your blog!

Chris Conway said...

Frank, don't brush this off nonetheless. Take this experience and use it to motivate yourself to exercise and be healthier. Your mom doesn't worry too much! You don't worry as much as you should!