Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Books, Books, Books

I made a trip to the bookstore yesterday. For my summer reading program, I did indeed go with Boethius' The Consolation of Philosophy, but also picked up a copy of Marcus Aurelius' Meditations. I did look at The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire and decided to read it, but all the copies I saw were really beat up, so I decided to wait and try and find a better copy at one of the other bookstores I haunt.

And, yes, I must confess: I bought a copy of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. I just finished it a few minutes before writing this post, actually. I won't bore you all with a review (I don't want to spoil anyone and others can review it much more adroitly than I), but I will say that Rowling is amazingly adept at accurately portraying teenage social life and emotions, and that the ending is very, very affecting. Her editor really needs to put a stop to the comma splices, though; I've noticed them in all the other Harry Potters I've read and it's a very jarring and irritating stylistic erratum.

No comments: