Sunday, May 22, 2005

I'm Mark Hamill! Kill Me Now!



Damn, I'm Luke! How boring! Personally, I've always seen myself as C-3PO, or, as one reviewer put it, "a gay, gold-plated Jeeves."

Speaking of Star Wars, I saw Revenge of the Sith today. I really have to see it again to formulate a firm opinion, but, overall, I quite enjoyed it. Hayden Christensen was better in the Darth Vader role than I'd anticipated, the effects were dazzling, and there were some really cool fight scenes. The destruction of the Jedi stands out as a surprisingly moving sequence. But my favorite scene is between Yoda and the Emperor (probably the best characters in the movie), who have a truly kick-ass interaction. Oh, and it's really, really, really freaky how much like Alec Guinness Ewan McGregor looks like in this movie.

The one truly discordant note was the whole "romance" between Anakin and Padme. Portman and Christensen have no chemistry whatsoever (because he's a big 'mo, Eva Longoria!) and their dialogue... oh, the dialogue! Their sweet nothings are simply groan-enducing. Poor Natalie Portman! She doesn't really have anything to do in this one other than speak the worst love-talk in cosmic history and be pregnant, so her performance isn't exactly scintillating. I don't blame her, either! Also, there weren't as much Wookiee as I'd have liked.

All in all, though, I think it easily surpassed the other two prequels (no real feat there, of course) and completed the story well. And to all the haters: fuck off! If nerds want to get all excited about a movie, let them! I think you look like much bigger fools running around trying to rain on everyone's parade than the people out in costumes have a grand old time.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm Han Solo. Is that good?

Frank said...

Yeah! That means you're the sexy badboy!

CB said...

The first time I took it I was Han Solo. The second time I was Luke Skywalker. The third time (when I was trying to be Chewy!) I was Wicket the Ewok.

Go figure.

Frank said...

Awww, I love Wicket! I think the Ewoks get a bum rap.

CB said...

I had the entire Ewok tree-village when I was little, and the stuffed Wicket, too.

As cute as they are, I'd rather be Han Solo, or some anonymous sexy Jedi! :)

Frank said...

I had a stuffed Wicket, too! No tree village, though. I did have an R2-D2 toy box that, if I hadn't destroyed it, would be worth a LOT of money nowadays!

CB said...

My brother Corty had every Star Wars toy imaginable. The only problem is he played with them! lol... Now most of his action figures are missing legs, have the paint rubbed off, or are buried in the backyard.

My Ewok tree village doubtlessly burnt in the house fire. All my good toys were either melted, burnt, or thrown away because they smelt like smoke. I miss Wicket. :'(