Friday, July 06, 2012

Bourgeois Art Gallery

Perseus Slaying Medusa

Truthfully, it's the violence of the statue that draws me to it.  Medusa's roar of pain and anger and fear, ironically frozen in stone for all time, is chilling, especially contrasted by Perseus's supreme indifference. 

Micaceous Pottery Jar

Even in a static photo, the sparkly, yet also matte, finish of the pot is arresting.

A Wet Night, Columbus Circle

Moody and misty, it's like a scene from a noir movie 40 years before they existed.

January Full Moon

One of my favorite things in winter is to go out on moonlit nights when there's snow on the ground and the sky is so clear the stars are like needles of light spearing down at your eyes to look at the world gone white, blue, and black.  Your breath steams up into the sky, like smoke from an incense burner pluming up in worship of the celestial spheres. 

Head of a Ram Pendant

Such intricate metalwork.  

Cong Tube

The design of this seems so modern, yet it's over three thousand years old.  The mottling of the jade is especially beautiful.

Figurine of a Rooster 

This rooster just makes me smile.  

Jembar Negarane, Cupet Pikirane 

I don't know what is going on, but I like it.


Artist and Model

I get a kick out of how she looks like she's going, "Are we done yet?  I have things to do."

Portrait of a Young Man

That fur looks so soft and pettable.

The Tailor

It's his face.  You can tell he works, and always has worked.  I also like the relative simplicity of his dress.  It's well-made, but not as peacocky as the noblemen in other portraits of his time, some of whom were his clients, no doubt.

Max After Surfing 

Hello there, Mr. Noir Abs!

Meeting at the Staircase

I can't help but envision intrigue and skullduggery between the two women.  Another painting that seems to cry out for a novel.  

Dog in the Bush 

Puppeh!

Hot Wind 

A very mysterious painting.  I'm not sure what to make of it, but it certainly keeps one's attention.  The washed-out colors speak to me of heat and sand.  

Emus

Emus!

Self-Portrait

Just look at those cheekbones!  That patrician hauteur!  Here was a man who didn't doubt his artistic abilities, I suspect.

Cow with Body Paint

This cow looks so sad.  Probably because they've been painted.  

Mary of Guise

The mother of Mary, Queen of Scots, and a rather ruthless regent, I think her personality shines through perfectly in this portrait.

The Parting

A whole novel could be written based on this picture, all based on a few black lines and splotches of red.

No comments: