Friday, December 15, 2006

Why Nerds Are Unpopular

I am a nerd. I'm quite proud of this fact. I embrace and revel in it. But I didn't always. Between, say kindergarten and maybe sophomore year of high school, being a nerd really hurt. I had no real friends; I felt alone and under siege. Every day of school was a social obstacle course. The ultimate goal? Not being picked on or taunted that day. Because nerds aren't popular and the unpopular are nothing but prey in school. The whole gay thing didn't help things, either. All of this "flowered" into full-on depression by my junior year of high school.

But why? Why are nerds so unpopular? Why is high school just such a hell in general? The answer. The writer is pretty much spot on in his assessment and raises some really thought-provoking points about the root causes of the hell that is adolescence. You really should read it; it puts all of your childhood and adolescence pain into articulate expression.

(Via Pharyngula comment)

3 comments:

gothamwhore said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
gothamwhore said...

Awww, sorry you had such a shitty high school experience.

The essay was awesome, though, if not long as shit! Anyone who randomly incorporates the word "nadir" into his writing is amazing! Haha.

Best quote:
"Unpopularity is a communicable disease"

Frank said...

Thanks, Gothamwhore. I'm over it, though. Well, mostly. Kinda. Maybe? *LOL*

That essay IS awesome, though.