Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Zadie, Zadie, Zadie!

A few weeks ago, I noted a now-slightly-infamous interview with the novelist Zadie Smith. Based on that interview, and only that interview (which I noted at the time), I said I thought she sounded like a "raging asshole."

After watching her interview this evening with Charlie Rose, however, I feel compelled to admit that I seem to have been wrong; she doesn't seem to be an asshole at all (or, at least, her moments of assholery are no more frequent than those of anyone else). She was very articulate, self-deprecating, and charming during the interview. It seems Ms. Annie Reid of Maud Newton Blog was right and Ms. Smith is a shy person and a
"candid and honest and interesting" interviewee.

All that said, I must take issue with the opinion of the Beatrice guest editor that "she has great clothes." Uhmmm... whatever, Beatrice Guest Editor.

No comments: