Saturday, September 10, 2005

Just An Impression

I've seen the name Zadie Smith bandied about the book blogs as that of a big, important, contemporary novelist, but, honestly, I don't think I've ever even seen a copy of one of her books. I am, therefore, in no position to say anything about the quality or merit of her work. What I can say, however, is that, in this interview at least, she sounds... well, frankly, she sounds like a raging asshole. She seems a right pretentious, artsy-fartsy, faux-depressive git (a species that is a particular object of loathing, for me).

Like the post title says, just an impression. Perhaps she's really a lovely woman.


(Via Bookninja)

UPDATE: I swear I didn't read today's Maud Newton Blog before I wrote the post above! (Honestly! Her blog is much farther down the list than Bookninja!) It's just a happy coincidence, down to the use of the word "git"!

Amazing, isn't it, how you can get two completely different reactions from two different people? But, then, apparently, I'm not alone in my impressions, which is some consolation. (Sad to say, but I'm a bit of a sheep when it comes to opinions.)

I'm sorry, though,
Ms. Annie Reid, if I'm participating in "the cluster bombing potential of the net." I just calls 'em like I sees 'em. And if Ms. Smith is, indeed, just a shy person who's also a "candid and honest and interesting" interviewee, and not just another whiny artiste, I humbly apologize. Either way, I do agree with Ms. Reid that this is a little over the top. Who are you, Daily Mail, Fox News???

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I'm sure you're right ...Unless I'm also a "depressive git" and all those things you said about her, in which case, I'm sure you're wrong.

Frank said...

Oh, I'm sure you're none of those things! Judging by my quick scan of your blogs (four?!? I have enough to obsess about with just one!), you're an extremely thoughtful and intelligent person engaging with some DEEP stuff.