Friday, September 02, 2005

Animal Ethics

I haven't really said much of anything about Hurricane Katrina and the devastation of the Gulf Coast because I really don't know what to say. Certainly nothing I could write on this podunk blog would be of any use to anyone. But I would like to explore an ethical dilemma that comes to the fore after a natural disaster such as Katrina; to whit, is it appropriate to be almost as worried about the pets as the people? I believe it is.

I'm not one of those damn hippy/PETA-type people who seem to think that animal lives are more important than human ones. I eat meat (though I don't approve of the current livestock-raising/meatpacking paradigm) and I support animal testing (when it's appropriate and as humane as possible), for instance.

However, I'm a huge animal lover. It is my firm belief that, especially with regards to domesticated animals, we have a moral responsibility towards them. I see domestication as an implicit contract: animals give up their freedom in exchange for our protection. Domesticated animals get increased fertility, lower infant mortality rates, greater geographical and ecological coverage, and a steady food supply (all big evolutionary advantages). We, in turn, get food, companionship, and so on. This contract obligates us to take care of our animals. Domestication makes animals, who in their wild state are perfectly able to take care of themselves, absolutely dependent on us for food, shelter, and medical care. No dog or cat or ferret or whatever chose to live in New Orleans. (Even if they had, instinct would have saved many of them because they would know to get the hell away from the oncoming hurricane). They have no way of saving themselves; they are simply unable to.


So, while priority should of course be given to finding and rescuing humans in those areas hit by Katrina, efforts
should also be made to find and rescue the animals. It's just the right thing to do.

If you're a utilitarian and think my reasoning is hogwash, then consider it in terms of health and safety. Lots of dead cats and dogs aren't going to make the already-polluted and disease-brewing flood waters any healthier. If we want to prevent epidemics, we have to deal with the animals.

No comments: