Monday, July 18, 2005

Summer Reading Update

About a week back, I patted myself on the back for my summer reading program. Last week, though, for some reason, I was in a rare "I don't feel like reading" mood, so little progress was made. The past few days, however, I've made some strides. I finished The Praise of Folly (witty, but not as funny as I'd hoped) and H.G. Wells' The Time Machine (very short; very Victorian, very modern, and very futuristic, all at once). I'm still plowing through The Varieties of Religious Experience. It's a fascinating book and William James' prose is quite absorbing, but it's very dense reading; I have to be in a very specific mood to deal with it.

I think the next classic I'll tackle is Boethius' The Consolation of Philosophy. Or maybe I'll go with Gibbons' The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire. Or maybe both. I won't decide until I go to the bookstore and see what's what.

4 comments:

CB said...

Um, like, I totally read the lyrics on my new Cyndi Lauper CD. Does that, like, count? *blinks vapidly*

Frank said...

She was on QaF tonight! Great performance, though she was totally lip synching (though if you saw it, you wouldn't blame her, because I don't think anyone could real sing through all that).

CB said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
CB said...

I know! I love "Shine." It's one of my favorite Cyndi Lauper songs.

The powers that be on QaF aren't too great when it comes to synching up the lip-synching. When Ted became a singing waiter, you could totally tell he was mouthing the words.

Anyway, Cyndi Lauper was my first girl-crush. When I was two I cut my hair with safety scissors to look like her. ><

Tonight's episode was awesome. I've watched the screeners for the season already. It was pretty good, but as always, it's better when it airs on Showtime.