Sunday, July 17, 2005

Like

I have trouble not liking people. I'm a nice guy in general and want everyone in the world to be loved and cherished. The thought of all the lonely people out there makes me sad, so I try to like everyone I meet. The world has enough hate and apathy.
More selfishly, when I find myself not liking someone, I always hear a voice in my head that says, "When you don't like someone, it's because they reflect something about yourself that you don't like and don't want to admit to." Therefore, I'm often charitable and polite, almost to a fault, to people who really don't deserve it, just so I can pretend that I have no flaws that others reflect. Eventually, of course, I give in to the hate, but it still makes me paranoid about what that says about me. I really care what other people think of me, so if I don't like someone because they have a characteristic I subconsciously think I have, that means that other people don't like me because of that characteristic. And I want everyone to like me! Because that's what it's all about. Right?

1 comment:

CB said...

Dude, whatever you're smoking, keep it far away from me. ;-)

Seriously though, I know what you mean. However, consider this: if other people don't like you for a characteristic you subconsciously think you have because you hate someone else for having the same characteristic, then, by default, don't the people who hate you for that characteristic subconsciously contain that characteristic, too? Mawwhahahahaha!

I really hate it when people pick their noses in public, but not because I subconsciously pick my nose in public. Rather, because it is disgusting.

Maybe it's all about hating the characteristic and not the person?