Thursday, July 14, 2005

Among the Primitives

An anthropology professor went undercover as a student to see how the proverbial other half lives. She's written a book about it and, I for one, would be most interested to read it. I was a commuter, so my college experience was different from those who lived on campus, but I'm very, very curious to see what a professor finds and thinks about student life. Judging by the article, she seems to have come away with a newfound understanding and respect of her students.

Some in the comments section of the article have taken issue with the ethics of this ethnographical study. I don't really see a problem, because she got permission from people where necessary and she's kept everything very anonymous. It doesn't look like she was out to embarrass or expose anyone, either. I'm neither an anthropologist nor an ethicist, though, so I may be totally wrong.

But then I think of what Cindy (aka the Unsinkable Cindy Best; aka the Notorious C.A.B.) says about anthropologists: "They make stuff up!" It makes me a little cautious about believing her and her findings, even though it all seems pretty legit. Damn you, Cindy, for tearing away my innocence!!! *LOL*

(Via Inside Higher Ed)

2 comments:

CB said...

Sorry for the tearing, hun. Next time I'll use more lube. :-P

Inappropriate sexual references aside, not all anthropologists make things up, just a lot of them. *eg*

Anthropology is like any other profession. It's full of lazy ass people. Consider the comparison of anthropology to journalism, or even to an English major. When real research isn't done, stories are made up (and not to protect the innocent!).

This particular book sounds very interesting.

Chris Conway said...

Didn't Tom Wolfe already do this study in his latest novel? (For which he too hung out in college as an "anthropologist").