Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Bookish Bagatelles

It's rather heartening to know that you can be fondly remembered for your sheer awfulness and lack of talent.

An update on that Harry Potter theft/shooting thingie from a few weeks ago: they've appeared in court and have been set free on bail. More importantly, one of the accused is as yummy as a plate of scones!!! Fancy a game of quidditch, Mr. Lambert?

(Via Bookninja)

University presses are struggling to survive now that the scholarly monograph market is in decline. Relatedly, the college textbook industry is seeing slow growth. Gee, I wonder why! I mean, who wouldn't want at least ten copies of The Sociological Importance of Table Salt in Late Eighteenth-Century Dutch Colonial Literature? And who wouldn't like to pay $300.00 for a Macroeconomics package containing a paperback textbook and twenty supplements you'll never even look at? I just don't understand it! (I sarcasticize [is there a noun form of sarcasm???] because I love. I love obscure treatises; I have a positive fetish for textbooks, as I've written before. That doesn't mean I can't see the foibles and absurdities of their attendant industries.)

(Via Bookslut)


No comments: