Monday, February 28, 2005

Oscars

I'm neither a movie-buff nor an awards show person (even the Golden Globes - I'm such a bad gay!). Like many, I expect, I watch the Oscars for the Best Acting and Best Picture awards and that's about it. Last night, though, NOTHING else was on, so the Oscars remained on as background while I clicked around on the computer. How deadly dull!!! I like Chris Rock, but the Oscars just ain't his venue. I mean, he can't do his really outrageous stuff due nor does a lot of his humor go over well with befrocked, mainly middle-aged and up, rich white people. That said, I applaud him for not being afraid to dis the actors. I especially enjoyed his intro of Halle Berry; "eagerly anticipated Catwoman 2," indeed! But even that was fairly unoriginal comedy.

I LOVE Cate Blanchett, so I'm glad she won and I cackled with glee when Annette Benning lost to Swank again. I just don't like that woman. (BTW, why is Warren Beatty a "legend"? I can't think of one good film he's been in, at least in my lifetime. Is it just because he's shtupped a bunch of women? Bit whoop!) What was with Natalie Portman and her "you have my applause" thing? I'm sure the highlight of the evening for those lighting directors or whoever they were (I forget what category it was) was your rhetorical applause, Natalie. WTF? Oh, and who's bright idea was it to have Penelope Cruz and Selma Hayek give out an award involving the pronunciation of words that could make an elocution coach start speaking in tongues? Selma Hayek's hot, though. She also did this laugh at the end after Penelope Cruz (who, BTW, is ugly) said something inane, like all "bitch, what the hell are you talking about?" that I got a kick out of.

All in all, a ho-hum "night of stars."

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Here is what I meant to say:

That's it. Next year I am producing the Grammy Awards and the Oscars. Wanna host?