Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Love, Life, and Bots

The life lessons of MST3K.  Numbers 3, 5, and 7 can't be emphasized enough.  It always strikes me most that I laughed just as much when I was ten as now when I'm 30, even though more than half of the references and jokes went straight over my head (and some still do).  It didn't matter, though!  There was so much, that just the stuff I got was enough to keep me giggling.  (And sometimes even the stuff I didn't get was still hilarious, because even though I didn't know exactly what they were talking about, I knew that if I did know it would be perfect.  If that makes any sense.)

MST3K taught me that I could love something and laugh at it, too.  It taught me how to critique.  It taught me to make connections between even the most disparate things and how to parse allusions and the fun of making fun of the terrible.  It taught me to really look at what I was watching.  It taught me to see things like sexism in entertainment.  It taught me a lot of things.  Not bad for a show about robots and bad movies.

No comments: