Monday, December 31, 2012

2012 Year in Books (Qualitative)

First, the year in Bourgeois Book Club: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.  Second, because one of the "honorees" is "new," just a reminder that not every book I read gets reviewed.  I try to only write about books that strike me in some way, or I feel call out for discussion.  Many books that I enjoy or loath or had no particular reaction to do not make it into the Book Club. 

Favorite Book

Always a toughie, but I'd have to say Why Does The World Exist? by Jim Holt.  It just hit squarely at my metaphysical preoccupations, and it's just beautifully written.

Honorable mentions go to The Barbarous Years, The Hydrogen Sonata, and The Rook

Worst Book(s)

Artemis/Version 43 by Philip Palmer.  Interesting, but ugly books with an ugly worldview.  Palmer is a quite competent writer, but the bleakness just disgusted me.  

Most Surprising Book

Count to a Trillion by John C. Wright.  So, so many problems with this book, and yet I still liked it.

Most Boring Book

Religion and Magic in Ancient Egypt by Rosalie David.  Good God was it dull.  It why I didn't even bother writing about it.  I've always had an interest in Ancient Egyptian history and culture, so I thought this would be interesting, but man, talk about dry.  Not terribly well-constructed, either. 

"Honorable" mention goes to Carthage Must Be Destroyed.  

No comments: