Thursday, December 15, 2011

It's A Snowball! It's A White Balloon! It's A...

Flying Snowman!

I have to admit, I'm with Mr. Scalzi on this one. I'm much more forgiving of fantasy than science fiction with suspension of disbelief. (I mean, the density of lava in Lord of the Rings? We're really going to quibble that Gollum sunk into lava in a moment that had much more to do with the artistic and dramatic themes Jackson had been playing with Gollum the whole trilogy?)

But even with science fiction, I can forgive a lot. Faster-than-light travel? Sure! (In fact, I dislike "hard" science fiction that goes out of its way to not have FTL. Boring!) Teleportation? Sure! Sound in space? Sure! Even there, though, there's a limit. The "red matter" and "supernova threatening the galaxy" thing in the latest Star Trek movie bothered me tremendously. IT DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY! We all have our lines.

2 comments:

Tim said...

I'm pretty good about suspending disbelief during the movie, it's afterwards that I groan thinking about it. I actually missed the line where spock said a sun was threatening the whole galaxy....

but since they were already talking time travel I kinda just let it all slide.

Frank said...

Yeah, I cringed, but I didn't walk out of the theater or anything. I can usually get back into the movie or show really quick.