Friday, December 10, 2010

Holly Jolly Hell

I'm a Christmasy kind of guy, and I do like Christmas music, but listening to it at work for eight hours a day from after Thanksgiving to Christmas Eve can be... trying. This year, for instance, I've gone from having never heard "It's A Marshmellow World" or hearing it at least five times a day in at least three different versions. Dean Martin can go to hell for this torture.

I do always find it interesting, though, hearing the different versions of the songs. "I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm" can be swingy-croony with Dean Martin or a scratchy jazz tune by Billie Holliday (? I'm not entirely sure about that one). Barbra Streisand does a slow, melancholy "These Are A Few Of My Favorite Things" that's cool, even if I continue to not think that's a holiday song. (Speaking of not-holiday songs, Frank Sinatra can join his pal Dean in hell, not only for duetting on of the "It's A Marshmellow World" versions, but also for "I Believe," which is an absolutely terrible song.) Then there are about ten million "Winter Wonderland," "Baby It's Cold Outside," and "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" versions.

BTW, Neil Diamond SUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKS. Seriously, how'd he get to be a star? Also, I've had goddamn Angela Landsbury belting out "We Need A Little Christmas" from a Mame cast recording for days and I want it to stop!

2 comments:

arte( said...

Merry Christmas, in advance -- in case you die of that big dose of Holly Jolly Hell.

Frank said...

Oh, don't worry about me; I've survived it before and I will again. I just like to vent about it.

Merry Christmas to you, too!