Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Blogs That Aren't There Anymore (Part I)

One of the strangest, and sometimes saddest, things about blogging for four-and-a-half years now is reminiscing about how many blogs -- good blogs, much better than this bucket of trash -- Bourgeois Nerd has outlasted. One of the big attractions of blogs, for me at least, is the sense of relationship with the writer. When a blog proprietor decides to close up shop, it can be almost hurtful, and even maddening because later on you wonder just what happened to your "friend" that you don't hear from anymore. So let us now mosey down Cyber Alley of Memory Lane, and reminisce about blogs that aren't there anymore...

Thought Not


One of the earliest blogs I read, and probably the first to shut down, was Oliver's pad. Art, Rottweilers, and hottie bears, oh my! He was also my fateful introduction to
Scott, for which I don't know whether to thank or curse him. (Just kidding. It's curse, of course.) As a matter of fact, my relationship with Scott makes me miss Oliver's blog all the more, because I feel I know him better through Scott's stories, and because it gives us something in common. Apparently, he's healthy and happy, though mysteriously self-exiled to Provincetown, with the lesbians (I hear; I've never been.).

We, Like Sheep

I miss woofy Eric. Did he get to move to Barcelona? Did he stick with Hebrew? These are questions that torment me in the darkness of the night.


Faggoty-Ass Faggot

Biting wit and moxie from America's Heartland, Ohio. Brian is a journalist, now, and I hope a big success, but I still miss the bitchy musings.


Tony Hayden (The site there now is the successor to the vlog, not the site I'm talking about.)

The internationally renowned vlogger provided several years worth of triumph, heartbreak, and weiner dogs, chronicling everyday life in gay Orlando, but earlier this year he shut down to pursue other creative endeavors. I have to admit, though it makes me feel like a dork, I was really hurt when he closed down. When you're that intimate -- or at least feel that intimate, and
video can be much more intimate than even the most confessional writing -- with a person like that (we even got friendly over email), it hurts when they just "move away" or whatever. It feels like abandonment. Plus, no Ruko! No Thomas! No video from the archives! It makes me a Saaaad Panda.

The Pretty Boys Club

This one has a happy ending: Reader, they married! Still, I miss the witty repartee... and the hot boys. But mostly the repartee. (I'm lying.)


To Be Continued...

7 comments:

Tim said...

I've been missing a lot of blogs lately too, my deepest lost was GayNinjaRobot..so sad, I wish i had met him once or twice. and VividBlurry

it is funny how much i twitter instead of blogging now

Frank said...

Actually, Tim, Vividblurry is up and running again. Toby always resurrects.

Jérôme said...

Actually, "sheepy" Eric still sticks to Hebrew and write even better now - in my opinion - under soreafraid.typepad.com...

Frank said...

Thank you, Jerome! That made my day!

Tony Hayden said...

THANKS for being a blip on my radar.. All those hours of videos and no one has ever given a eulogy! THANKS!! I now just upload photos that tell a story at http://www.flickr.com/thecircuitdog

THANKS AGAIN,
tonyhayden

nsfw said...

Just don't be adding Bourgeois Nerd to this list!

Frank said...

Ha! Sorry, you're stuck with me!