Monday, October 27, 2008

Melancholy

As I've said any number of times, autumn is my favorite time of year. Partly it is because of where I live; we have our best weather, IMHO, during the fall, with lots of sunshine, clear blue skies, warm sun, and cool air. Partly it is because fall is so pretty, with the colors of the leaves shining in the sunshine and earthy in the rain. Partly it is because it's when my birthday falls. But it is also partly because there is a melancholy aspect to autumn that speaks to me. The falling leaves, the animals preparing for winter, the chilling air, the shortening days, the chirping of straggler frogs and toads and crickets in the chilly night, all lend an air of wistfulness to this time of year. I don't think of myself as a sad or morose person -- I'm far too neurotic -- but a bit of melancholy does appeal. I think it's the Irish in me. You know, drunken poets and all that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just a bit of nerdiness- the word Melancholy comes from Greek, and refers to one of the four humours- Black Bile (melania khole)