Monday, July 07, 2008

Bourgeois Book Club

I've been reading a lot of nonfiction lately, and extremely fortunate to have read some really, really good nonfiction, so I thought I'd share in case anyone was headed to the beach and wanted to pick something up to read.

A Voyage Long and Strange by Tony Horwitz

A book about the early European explorations and attempts at the colonization of America, with particular attention paid to the period between 1492 and 1620 that is so often ignored or glossed over in conventional American history. Alternating between colorful travelogue and primary-source-grounded history, it's a humor-filled trip through the country's early days, warts and all. It's also a fascinating meditation on the construction and propagation of myth. What collective we's choose to remember, and to forget, and why is really as interesting as the history itself.

Happy Endings by Jim Norton

You may know Jim Norton from his many appearances on the late night talk shows, the Opie & Anthony radio show, or from the show I first saw him on, the late, lamented (by me about five other people) Tough Crowd with Colin Quinn. As one website I read put it, Jim Norton is at the forefront of the "cringe comedy" movement, and I find that a pretty good description of his style: un-PC, shocking, and a little gross. It's also incredibly insightful, intelligent, and poignant. The poignancy comes from its confessional quality: Norton makes vicious fun himself and his friends more than anyone, gleefully regaling readers with stories of his insecurities and sexual proclivities. Written as a series of short diary-like entries, Norton mines his past days as a teenage alcoholic, his stand-up career, his insecurities about his body, his celebrity encounters, his disasters with women, and his propensity for hookers and happy-ending masseuses to leave you alternately laughing uproariously and cringeing uncomfortably.

The Great Transformation by Karen Armstrong

Karen Armstrong is a British ex-nun, well-known and respected for her writing on religion, particularly the history of religion. This book deals with the historical epoch some call the "Axial Age," a period of intense religious and philosophical effervescence that formed all the major religions and philosophies that dominate the world today. The book basically examines some of the great themes Armstrong sees among the different Axial traditions and their formation during this time. The historical and religious background is fascinating, and the writing superb and backed by prodigous research, but I did find Armstrong a bit too strong in emphasizing what she believed was the "spirit" of the Axial Age and what wasn't. Frankly, at times it felt like she was repeatedly hitting you over the head with a large frying pan to make her points and argue her theses, particularly her constant call for the world to go back to the "authentic," and in her view almost entirely tolerant and peaceful, traditions of the Axial Age as a way to deal with some of the sectarian strife, particularly between Islam and Christianity, going on today. It's a nice thought, but I think she oversimplifies things a bit, and emphasizes too much the peaceful, conciliatory aspects of the Axial traditions, with everything warlike and intolerant being later excrescences added by people who she thinks just didn't get it. Still, it's a great read, and extremely educating.

Mayflower by Nathaniel Philbrick

I actually bought and started this book about a year ago, but only just picked it back up and finished. A well-deserved Pulitzer Prize winning book, it tells the story of the Pilgrims and Plymouth, going far beyond the old "shoebuckle-hats and turkey" song and dance we learn in grade school, and paying particular attention to the complicated interactions with the Native tribes. Relations with the tribes were marked by a remarkably high level of cooperation and friendship for decades, but even from the beginning there were currents and strains that ultimately blew up into the bloody (and almost completely forgotten) King Philip's War that decimated the New England tribes and signaled the triumph of English settlement.

God, I'm such a nerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

And I am one of those mean obsessive librarians. Your first author's name is Tony Horwitz. I made the mistake of putting an "o" in his same too! His Confederates in the Attic, about the US Civil War as perceived today, kept me up all night several years ago! The section on the Shiloh battlefield had me in tears! And the Civil Wargasm had me laughing and crying in turns. I did not know about this new book, but I will grab a copy tomorrow! I'm sure a copy will be available at the library since us nerds are the only ones with the good taste to seek out good books!

Frank said...

By Jove, slyder, you're right! By the magic of the Internet, it will be corrected in just a few seconds. I bet he gets "Horowitz" a lot.

Confederates in the Attic is definitely now on my To Buy list. (And, yes, I'm nerd enough that I DO have a list on a piece of paper I keep in my wallet so I know what stuff I want to look at in the bookstore.)

Anyway, slyder, tell me of this "falling slightly in love" with me thing. It sounds fascinating!

Anonymous said...

Another good history to add to your list is Tom Holland's recent re-telling of the fall of the Roman Republic entitled Rubicon. Knocked my socks off. I also just discovered The Landmark Herodotus, which is beautifully annotated with tons of great maps. It will take me years to plow through. It is almost as nerdy as The Landmark Thucydides! I love big books that send you to the gym to get strong enough to lift! And the men who read them! Woof!

And who wouldn't be a little bit in love with the Bourgeois Nerd? He is obviously smart, a reader of books that matter, a possesser of a dry and very wicked sense of ironic humor, and has excellent taste in men from the guys' pics he posts. Two reasons I am only "slightly" in love with him: I am in Kansas, he is in New Jersey, and I am old enough to be his father without enough money to be his sugar daddy.

Frank said...

Slyder: You DO realize that Bourgeois Nerd is my alias, right?

Anyway, you make me blush, but also sigh. Why is it that I only seem to attract guys I'm attracted to when they live half-way across the country?

Anonymous said...

My dear Frank, of course I realize BN is just your alias. But if you tell me that the entire persona you project on this blog, which is pure sweetness and light, is a front, my li'l ole Kansas heart will break and I shall never again entrust an atom of it to another! I'll have you know that I do not lightly share my ancient Greek historians with others.