Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Primary Voting

I'm a Democrat, and I honestly like both Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama. I think they're both strong candidates, if in different ways. So when I went into the booth to vote today, I really didn't know who to vote for. On the one hand, Hillary was going to win New Jersey anyway (and she has), so I could vote for Obama just to be different and be in on this "Hope" thing. I like Obama's message, the way he's energized so many people. On the other hand, Clinton is obviously more qualified, a savvier politician, and the irrational hatred she inspires in people both astounds me and makes me sympathize with her. There was also my family to consider, though. My family are HUGE Clinton supporters and just as hugely anti-Obama (sadly, it's mostly a racial thing). If I voted for him, I'd probably be disowned.

In the end, I went with Obama, just to be different. I told my mother and she was not pleased, but since Hillary won anyway, I'm still in the will. I can never tell my sister, though; she'd perform an honor-killing on me.

No comments: