Sunday, August 31, 2008

Cartoonus Nostalgiae Ultima

Unless I suddenly remember a whole bunch of heretofore unmentioned cartoons from my childhood (which is certainly not beyond the realm of possibility with my ditzy brain), this post, sadly, marks the end of Bourgeois Nerd's illustrious and acclaimed (just go with it) Cartoon Nostalgia series. Who the hell knew I watched so many cartoons? God, I was such a nerdy little shut-in, even then.

Anyway, though I have a half-formed idea in my head to revisit some of the older Cartoon Nostalgia posts to expand upon my thoughts (I have surprisingly little to say in some of the early ones, which of course MUST be rectified, because I am nothing if not verbose; I have a reputation to uphold), this is most likely the last totally original one. Enjoy.

Inspector Gadget

"Du du du du du, Inspector Gadget! Du du du du du, oooo-hooo!" Another show with a catchy theme song and a villain I liked way more than the hero (who can't love a supervillain with a claw-hand and a fuzzy white cat?). Also, for some reason, one of those educational PSAs they always seemed to tack onto the end of cartoons in thos days, this particular one about what to do if you get something in your eye (basically, keep your eye closed and let your natural tears flush it out) still sticks with me. Every time something sticks in my eye, I think of it.

This is also another show whose memory was tragically molested with a horrible live-action movie a few years ago. And, no, I've never seen the movie and never will, but I still know it's awful. Matthew Broderick as Inspector Gadget? Please. What happened to that dude, anyway? From Ferris Freakin' Bueller to bearding with Sarah Jessica Parker; quite a come-down. He should have just run off with Nathan Lane when he had the chance.


The Mysterious Cities Of Gold

Unbeknownst to me, this was actually some sort of cult-classic French import. A riff on the legend of El Dorado, the premise was a kid and a bunch of other people looking for the Seven Cities of Gold. What sticks most in my head, though, is the title song: "The cities of goooooooooold! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, ahhhhhh, ahhhhhh, ahhhhhh... the ci-ti-es of gold!"

My Little Pony Tales

God, how did I not realize I was gay sooner? I was watching My Fucking Little Pony Tales! As with the Care Bears, I just wanted a horn with some cool power.

And that's it, folks. I hope you've enjoyed reminiscing with me over the past few years. I've enjoyed it. It's not the end of my nostalgia, though. Talking about Ferris Bueller above gave me an idea to do a little riffing on movies of my childhood. So look for that in the nearish-future!

3 comments:

Tim said...

duh you forgot "gummi bears"

Anonymous said...

Yeah. I watched My Little Pony and the Care Bears too. And did you forget truly, truly outrageous Jem? Frankly the theme tune was the only good thing about it...
But I don't think that any of this was nearly as gay as my childhood shelf of precious things arranged in gradually shifting colour-themed sections.

Tim said...

I wish I could grow up with the cartoons they have now, I'd be a ninja for sure! I find myself totally hooked on Naruto.