Saturday, July 14, 2007

The TV Of Summer

As July flies by, attended by its handmaidens Heat and Humidity, my mind wanders back to summer vacations of yore. When I was a young lad in elementary school, during the summers I would get up early, when no one else was around. My parents were at work and my older sister didn't get up until a few hours later (which is ironic and a complete reversal from nowadays, when she's always up early and I don't get up until the afternoon).

Anyway, I would come downstairs in my pjs and watch TV, specifically old reruns. I watched Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie, then some Gilligan's Island, followed by such more then-current fare such as It's a Living and this show with Jim J. Bullock and the guy from The Mary Tyler Moore Show living in a San Francisco house, where there was a room with a big-ass rainbow painted on the wall (feel the subtext!).

A few years later, my night owl tendencies manifested themselves. Thus, I spent many nights watching Nick at Night (back when it was good and not running reruns of Roseanne). My regular shows included: Get Smart, Dragnet, The Dick Van Dyke Show, The Lucy Show, and MST3K. Those were good times.

No comments: