Monday, April 09, 2007

What A Way To Make A Living!

Personally, I don't really go for gay icons like Judy Garland, Liza Minelli, and Barbra Streisand. Even Madonna, whom I once adored, has lost her place in my little faggoty heart. But I will have nothing said against Miss Dolly Parton! 9 to 5 and Steel Magnolias were important parts of my gay childhood. And how can you not love a woman who not only has her own theme park, but describes herself as a drag queen trapped in a woman's body?

To this day, I occasionally belt out a rousing chorus of "Working 9 to 5" in my best Dolly Parton voice. Fergie and Charlotte don't approach my level of awesome, of course, but they do a creditable tribute to Miss Dolly.

(Via Perez Hilton)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know a straight chap who feels similarly.

Wow. Why does Fergie bother with all that 'My Humps' bullshit when she can actually sing?

I guess that makes me sound really old....

(Incidentally: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W91sqAs-_-g )

There was also a funny moment when Graham Norton interviewed Dolly.
He was laying on her bed, asking her questions when a stray hair on the bedspread caught his eye. Picking it up he asked, "Is this a genuine Dolly Parton pube?"
"Honey," she replied, "If it says 'Made in Korea' on it, it's mine."

Frank said...

No, it doesn't make you sound old, Gunn. It's a quite logical question to ask. Frankly, though, despite its shortcomings as a musical masterpiece, "My Humps" IS a damn catchy tune.

Anonymous said...

Yes. Catchy like herpes.