Thursday, April 12, 2007

Typing Tetchiness

I try my best not to be a snob or judgemental in any way. But I can't help but take pride in my typing skills and cannot stand those who can't (or won't) capitalize or punctuate or space correctly! I know everyone isn't a great typer, but it just doesn't look right. There is a Shift key and space bar and a Return key for a reason, people!

A blog post or email that's nothing but lowercase letters and ellipses-in-place-of-other-punctuation and inexplicably formatted paragraphs, which are disconcertingly common, is enough to make me scream. Even on a cruising site like
ManHunt, nothing turns me off faster than an almost illegible profile or a message that has nothing nothing but lowercase "i"s. (Yet another reason why I don't get laid.) Just as bad are those who ABUSE THE CAPS LOCK AND THUS LOOK LIKE THEY'RE SCREAMING ALL THE TIME. Either "style" makes it difficult to actually read what people have written. It also makes me, at least, less interested in trying to figure it out anyway. I don't want to give myself a headache or spend ten minutes deciphering hieroglyphics to figure out how someone's day was or what someone's preferred fisting position is.

The purpose of writing is to impart information to another person or persons with a minimum of confusion and a maximum of clarity.
Proper typing goes a long way towards communicating your message clearly. So start typing better or no one will know, or even care, what the hell you're saying!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you and I share the same parents.

Frank said...

Well, I AM like a "little brother" to you! And I'm still convinced we're related somehow.

BTW, not to be a bitch, but can a brother get an email response?