Friday, March 09, 2007

"I'm Free!"

John Inman, best known as Mr. Humphries from Are You Being Served?, has died.

This makes me very sad, folks; I'm an Anglophile by nature, I think, but the Anglophilia was really jump started by
Are You Being Served? and the other PBS Britcoms. Mr. Humphries was my favorite character and his portrayer a wonderful gentleman who was beloved by everyone who knew him. It is truly a sad loss; he will be sorely missed.

Though the character's fey, campy qualities are considered problematic by some, I always thought Mr. Humphries was actually a very positive portrayal of a gay man (especially for the 1970s). He was accepted and loved by his peers, had a rich and varied social life, and was, frankly, probably the most sensible one on the show. In sum, he was fabulous, in every sense of the word, and that's not a bad thing for a young gay to see on the TV sceen.

My sincerest condolences go out to his partner, friends, family, and fans. Farewell, John Inman, and thank you for the laughter.

No comments: