Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Blog

I've heard/read many people say that "blog" is an ugly word. I guess I can see why they would say such a thing. It's not as mellifluous as... well, the word "mellifluous." The sounds that comprise it aren't the world's most attractive. I mean, "blah" and "guh" don't exactly scream "music to my ears!"

Still, to me, there's something satisfyingly Anglo-Saxon, in the same way that all the good curse words in English are, about the word "blog." Also, I've never really heard a good suggestion to replace it, and, at this point, it has stuck and will be around for the foreseeable future. Sometimes, utility outweighs aesthetic considerations. And sometimes beauty is beside the point. Besides, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. .... Wow, cliche much? How about another one: Beauty is only skin deep. (I'll stop now before we get too hackneyed!)

So, to sum it up, I like the word "blog."

2 comments:

Alden said...

Oh no! Frank is being pulled into the blog of eternal stench!

GayProf said...

Blog does have the sound of bog or blob, neither of which elicit positive associations. I am not sayin', I am just sayin'.