Monday, January 22, 2007

Aimless

I really don't know what I want to do with my life. There's nothing that really calls to me, nothing that I feel I have to do. I like and am interesting in editing and proofreading, but I can't say it's my overwhelming passion. This makes my job search even tougher than it already is, since I don't really know what I want, thus making a career goal difficult. It makes me feel all drifty and shiftless.

I don't claim to be unique in this condition. I know a lot of people never figure out what they want to do. It still sucks.

3 comments:

gothamwhore said...

The answer to your "I don't know what to do with my life" problem is...

LAW School.

It seems to be the holding pen for numerous 20-somethings who still aren't sure what to do with themselves yet can't bare to feel unproductive.

Frank said...

I will NOT go to law school. One thing I KNOW I don't want to do is be a lawyer and I really don't want to go back to school.

Anonymous said...

Don't go to law school unless you're sure you want to do law. It's ridiculously self-defeating unless you're sure you want to practice. Not to mention that it requires one to move imagination away from one's work, is a three year test of rote memorization, and likely puts one in a place with some of the most boring people you'll ever meet. It opens doors, but closes more, such as geographical fluidity in one's profession. There are some editing and proofreading opportunities on journals, but you better really enjoy it because the material will be less exciting than anything you can imagine.

Still, I'd go again. But all those people in holding patterns will be miserable -- if not now then when they're chained to a desk four years down the road.