Friday, August 11, 2006

A Not-Very-Complimentary Self-Confession

As a very general rule, and it is hardly one etched in stone, I don't go for black guys. They just aren't my type, the same way blond, WASPy/Aryans aren't generally my type, either. But there is a part of it that is more complex. Basically, I don't like to look at black men as objects of my sexual interest because I don't like the racist switches it hits in my head. I start thinking of them in a sort of buck/Mandingo way, the old "black men are hung and sexual animals" stereotype, there for nothing more than the sexual gratification of whites. I don't like this way of thinking and feeling, so I try to avoid thinking of black men in that way. I'm sure that's a racism of another kind, but it is, I think, the lesser of two evils.

(BTW, Eric has a good post with interesting comments on the general issue of race and sexual attraction.)

No comments: