Monday, May 08, 2006

God, I'm Such A Dumbass!

You know that jingle at the end of those Kaye Jewelers' commercials? "Every kiss begins with Kaye!" Well, I always thought they just meant that "every" (obviously hyperbole) kiss began with a piece of jewelry from Kaye. I literally only realized last night that it's a play on words: the word "kiss" does indeed begin with the letter "k," which is exactly how you pronounce "Kaye." Makes a lot more sense, actually, but also makes me feel very, very, very, very, very dumb.

5 comments:

GayProf said...

I am as dumb as you because it took this post to clue me in to the word play. Yeah, having a Ph.D. really paid off.

Maxine Clarke said...

Yeah, I have a few of those PhD things and all that, and I'd never even heard the jingle in the first place -- even dumber!

Frank said...

Don't worry, guys, we can all be dumb together!

Dr. Richard Scott Nokes said...

It took me a couple of times to get the pun too -- mostly because it should be "every kiss begins with a 'k'." The pun isn't quite right. Of course, if you added the article, "Every kiss begins with a Kaye" doesn't make sense, either.

Once I figured it out, I thought that the clumsiness of the pun would make the slogan short-lived, yet here we are, years later, and it still runs.

*note to self -- awkward puns sell jewelry*

Frank said...

I don't know that the pun is really that clumsy. I mean, people omit the indefinite article when talking about letters a lot (I do at least), so saying "every kiss begins with 'k'" sounds fine. *shrug*