Sunday, April 30, 2006

Even More Cartoon Nostalgia

Scooby-Doo. The good ones, though, not the later crap with Scrappy Doo or anything. Who couldn't love Shaggy and Scooby and Velma? I liked Velma in particular because she was smart and, I know now, most likely a fellow homosexual. Plus, who else could rock an orange turtleneck, knee-socks, and glasses quite like her? Daphne and Fred I could have cared less about; they were always off banging each other, anyway.

Space Ghost. I love Space Ghost Coast to Coast, too, but that's a whole different kettle of fish. I loved the bad physics (flying and breathing in space!) and the villains (Black Widow! Metallus!) and Space Ghost's bracers (again with the cartoon jewelry lust!) and the monkey Flip who, as far as I'm concerned, was the real hero of the show because he was always pulling Space Ghost and those bumbling twins' asses out of the fire.

Captain Planet. "He's our hero! Gonna take pollution down to zero!" Early 90s environmental propaganda. I had a crush on the guy who had the fire ring. Always laughed at the kid who had the "heart" ring. What a crappy power (and a haircut to match). Speaking of haircuts, Captain Planet had a mullet. Nothing says "environmental hero" like a mullet.

No comments: