Friday, January 12, 2007

The Return of Cartoon Nostalgia

The triumphant return of Cartoon Nostalgia! I realize now that I really did spend my entire youth watching animated shows. I don't remember watching so many cartoons, but I obviously did. Go me, I guess.

Also, Joseph Barbara (of Hanna-Barbara fame) recently died, so this is kind of a tribute, even though none of the cartoons I'm talking about today are his. I'm sure he'd be positively touched, anyway, to have some nobody blogger go on about the cartoons he misspent his youth on weeks after he died. *snort*

Animaniacs

I was actually rather ambivalent about this cartoon, but I watched it anyway. I loved the educational songs (countries of the world, "Istanbul, not Constaninople," etc.). "Pinky and The Brain" was fun, too.


Tiny Toon Adventures

The adventures of young Warner Bros. cartoon characters. Now, unlike Muppet Babies, the characters aren't the younger versions of the classic characters, but pint-sized reimaginings. The only episode that actually sticks in my mind is the Field of Dreams with feminist overtones one where the female Bug Bunny-equivalent rediscovers a forgotten female cartoon star to be her hero. Otherwise, nothing much comes to mind.

Care Bears

God I wanted to have a special power coming out of my stomach! Something useful, like the green Care Bear's luck, not a stupid rainbow or something.

More nostalgia to come!

5 comments:

Teacher lady said...

I think you're too young to remember the Smurfs, but - remember the Smurfs? Smurfette TOTALLY looked like a rockin' hot drag queen and I think that "Hefty" - the Smurf with the heart tattoo on his arm - was actually gay. Butch, but gay. Oh, and the evil Gargamel!! He lookled like he was a registered sex offender when he wasn't trying to off the Smurfs. LOVED that show. Really sick and twisted when you read into it!

GayProf said...

One Smurfette for hundreds and hundreds of male Smurfs...

Frank said...

Oh, yes, I remember the Smurfs, Teacher Lady! Thanks for ruining the innocence of my childhood with your observations! *LOL*

GayProf: Yeah, I never quite figured out how such a skewed gender balance worked.

Anonymous said...

I was just indulging in some cartoon nostalgia of my own (via Netflix) - 'Ulysses 31' which you might not have got this side of the Atlantic. Sadly it wasn't quite as good as I remembered...

Frank said...

No, it doesn't sound familiar, Gunn. When you say it "wasn't quite as good" as you remembered, are you being typically English in your understatement (i.e. it sucked) or were you being literal (i.e. it was good, just not as good as you remember)?