Friday, October 14, 2005

The Golden Crane Flies For Tarmon Gai'don

I discovered Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time series a decade ago due to a fortuitious visit to a Florida bookstore, where I was given a free promotional copy of the first half of The Eye of the World (the first book in the series). I took it, read it, and was instantly hooked. In the over ten years since then, I've been hooked; at times, the series has been almost an obsession. For the past several years, though, as the books have slowed in pace (both in publication date and the flow of narrative) and declined in general quality, disappointment and sheer exasperation cooled my ardor. Or so I believed.

I've recently been rereading some of The Wheel of Time and the Jordan fever I thought long ago extinguished as come back in full force. The latest book, Knife of Dreams, came out Tuesday and I'm a bit embarrassed at how excited and eager I was to get it. I woke up early (for me) and everything and spent the rest of the day reading. I would have gobbled the whole thing up that day, except I made myself leave some for the next. It wasn't easy, believe you me.

As to the book itself, I liked it. I was a tad disappointed; the hype leading up to the book was quite high. However, it was definitely better than the last few books, actually got things done (the last few installments have been mired in ever-multiplying plotlines), and set the scene for the next, and last, book. Unfortunately, it'll be about two years before we'll see that. *sigh* I hope my fever goes down soon; otherwise, I'll never make it!

Robert Jordan's coming to Philly to do a signing this Saturday. I really want to go, but I'm nervous. I've never been to a book signing and I don't have anyone to go with. Wish me luck.

(Link via Bookslut)

No comments: