Tuesday, May 24, 2005

I'm Officially a Curmudgeon

'''You don't always get to read about teenagers,' she said." Thank heavens for that, I say! With some exceptions, most teenagers are either deadly dull, twits, or both. Not exactly the makings of gripping literature. And even when I was a teenager, I felt no need to spend my free time reading about fellow teenagers. I hated my peers and got quite enough of them at school.

What's wrong with these kids who want to read only contemporary literature because they can't relate to older stuff? I'm as against Moby Dick and Great Expectations as anyone, but that doesn't mean I want to read some YA crap that seem to be nothing more than attempts by the authors to see how fucked up/"multicultural" of a story they can create. ("Hey, I should write a novel about the plight of Native American migrant prostitute child-amputees! It'll be so educational!)

(Via Bookslut)

No comments: