Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Another Nerdy Addiction

As if I haven't already confirmed my frrrrrrrrreak credentials, I have another confession: I'm addicted to distance learning courses. I don't know how it works in other places, but the Philly PBS affiliate (WHYY - an acronym they use to its punny potential) broadcasts these telecourses late at night.

There are three, in particular, that I'm obsessed with:

An English composition course that is one of the newer programs they have. It's just what it sounds like: a class about writing essays, proofreading, etc. I like to think it keeps my writing skills sharp. Plus, there's this really hot English professor they interview; his name is Dr. Thomas Fox and he teaches at one of the CSU campuses. He's dreamy in that hottie-nerd way.

The Western Tradition is what got me into the whole late-night learning thing. It's an overview of Western history and it's hosted by this fabulous professor at UCLA named Eugen Weber. He has the most interesting, almost hypnotic, accent. He's also funny in a very dry, academic, European way. Plus, there are lots of pretty pictures from the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Over a period of about ten years, I think I've seen the whole course about a million times, but just keep coming back for more.

Literary Visions is an introduction to literature. It's narrated by this woman named Fran Dorn, another example of a great voice. They have actors that dramatize works and interviews with writers. It's often quite corny, but I'm an English major, so even though I know just about everything they're talking about, I just enjoy it.

Have I convinced you of my insanity yet?

No comments: