Tuesday, June 21, 2005

German Words

Ran across this slightly outdated BBC article on the search for "the most beautiful German word." The entry I particularly like is Ohrwurm (English: "earworm"), which is German for a song you just can't get out of your head. (I'm particularly prone to this maddening and insidious parasite; part of my OCD, I think.) Gotta love those Germans; they have a word for everything it seems!

Unfortunately, my pick didn't even get into the top five. In fifth place was
Rhabarbermarmelade (rhubarb marmelade). Fourth place went to Augenblick (a moment; literally "a blink of the eyes). In third place was lieben (to love), which is quite predictable, I guess. Second place went to Geborgenheit (security or shelter). And the word voted the most beautiful in the German language: Habseligkeiten (belongings or possessions, especially of a humble or poor nature). Not a terribly beautiful list, IMHO. Frankly, it's a bit uninspiring. But I wasn't on the panel of judges, so I guess what I think really doesn't matter. Still, don't judge German by these words; there are lots of much more fun and interesting German words out there!

(Via We, Like Sheep)

No comments: